This special blog is to relay the latest HSE advice and requirements for our clients with trained First Aiders, and the extension of expiry dates for First Aid at Work (FAW) Certificates.
- FAW (i.e. 3-day course) or Emergency FAW (1-day) certificates that expired after 16 March 2020 can remain valid until 31 October 2020 or 6 months from the date of expiry, whichever is later.
- All requalification training for these certificates should be completed by 31 March 2021.
- This will be applied to England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
The date of 31 March 2021 has been introduced, in order to provide a single date to focus employers and also help with enforcement, as there has been some movement on this previously.
However, to qualify for the extension, employers must be able to demonstrate that:
- they have made every effort to arrange requalification training as soon as possible and can explain in detail why they have not been able to do so. For example, they must show evidence that staff with expired certificates are booked on to EFAW or FAW requalification courses if requested by an inspector.
- they have the adequate and appropriate equipment and facilities to give first aid to any employee who is injured or becomes ill at work.
- the level of first aid cover provided remains appropriate for their particular work environment.
- the level of first aid provision necessary in high-risk settings is fully maintained, e.g. in construction, agriculture, engineering and chemicals.
Stay tuned for further announcements.